Friday, July 16, 2010

Pre-fast

I'm going to neglect to make any lengthy comments on why I haven't written anything in 2 months. I'll just say - busy.

That said, I thought this upcoming activity would be something blog-worthy. Tomorrow, Saturday, July 17th will begin my second water fast. My first one did not go for as long as planned, back in March. I attempted a 5-day fast and ended up going 3 1/2. This time, I'm not going to put a time frame on it; my goal is to go as long as my body signals to me that I need it. Ideally, I'd like to go 14 or 21 days; but if my body gives me the message that I need to end it at 7, I will.

I don't think 7 days will cut it, frankly. I know I have plenty of toxins built up from over the years. Especially considering I smoked for 16 years, did some illegal drugs in my day, drank like a fish during my early 20s, ate like crap for 7 years back in Atlanta, and live in metro Los Angeles breathing smog and chemicals daily. I'm also combining this with, yet another attempt to quit smoking. Combine hunger pains with nicotine withdrawl and I suspect it's not going to be a very pleasant experience for the first few days.

As much as I'd like to think that my "clean" diet and lifestyle changes as of recent have "fixed" my body, I'm too rational and logical to not realize that a year of being a health nut do not combat 20+ years of being a typical American. I'm looking forward to getting the nicotine out of my system along with all the other gunk that's been really affecting me. I think as I got closer to the weight I'm at (181 lbs.) all that's left are fat deposits that are filled with shit, which upon my research and understanding of my body, will affect my mood, energy level, and appetite. It's time to give my body a break, and allow it to totally focus on cleanup.

Hence: the fast.

I'm anticipating some pretty foul days and know from my past experience, even from my short fast, that I'm due for some unpleasantness. I suspect my breath will get to a point where it will wither roses and melt paint off a car, my tongue will get covered in a white-thrushlike residue, and I think my perspiration will probably smell like old skin/beauty products. I'll be sure to keep you updated!

When my tongue clears up and "true hunger" returns, that's when I suspect I'll stop the fast. Depending on how long I go, for every 5 days on the fast, I'll do 1 day of pasteurized juice only (without added sugar), and then slowly work my way back into raw fruits and veggies. I'll build back up to beans and rice over the next couple of weeks.

This is the part I'm sure my mother will want to know, I'm also going to go through a daily enema process - in the evenings, because as much as I want to play "Beat the Clock" on the commute to work, I'll pass. I didn't do this on my first fast and realized that this was a bad decision. Once you stop intaking food, your digestive system shuts down. Therefore, you stop expelling residue from your bowels. I've read too much and also know, that there is plenty of caked up crap (no pun intended) in your colon to not take the steps to assist your body in removing it.

I'll be sure to take pictures and post them. Wouldn't that be great?

I'll try to make daily updates, and we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment