Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"We don't return security deposits."

I’ve never had an issue with a landlord. Granted, most of my experience was back in Georgia; but I cannot recall an apartment complex that was mismanaged or that I ever raised a concern about. This era of my life has changed.

I originally moved back to California in March of 2007. My company at the time flew me out here to find a place to live, along with help setting up their new Los Angeles office. During this week, I had to scramble and an apartment and one that would accept my two dogs, sight unseen. The second place I looked, I found my current apartment and the owner/landlord was kind, responsive, and attentive. I had to pay a rather hefty deposit since my only California rental history was a 6 month lease in 2000 (aside from my UCLA dorm rooms which, sadly, do not count).

Larry, my landlord, owned the building until the mortgage fallout and was forced to liquidate one of his properties to maintain his others. My building was the one selected to be sold. The new owner then hired a property management company called Capital Realty Advisors. They took over the building and gave the initial impression that this would be a smooth and uneventful transition. This was far from the truth.

The issues started with one of the tenants in my 7 unit building having some “sketchy” guests over for 5 minutes at 3am, publically shooting up (what I can only guess was heroin or meth), loud noises late at night, having guests bring laundry over and use our only washer/dryer, guests sleeping behind the building/in a garage, police involvement for outstanding warrants, physically assaulting another resident, and finally theft of personal property. Needless to say, these nuisances were afforded every courtesy under the law and it took them four months to get them out. During this time, the management company did nothing – except for two weeks before the removal, installing two locking doors, which did nothing to solve the problem.

Furthermore, we’ve had issues with getting any maintenance completed. When they took over the building in June of 2009 they demanded a list of all outstanding repairs and then proceeded to… not repair them. I eventually sent in a demand to have certain things repaired (like the peeling paint and drywall in my shower). It only took four months and three missed appointments to get that done.

I’ve always been a good tenant. My rent has never been late; I don’t cause issues nor do I complain about stupid stuff. I have no idea why they treat their residents like we’re just property. The building, exterior-wise, has fallen into disrepair. Compound this with the fact that they have said, in no mincing of words, “We don’t return security deposits.” Really? The boldness of their words is startling.

Despite that fact that this is illegal they seem to be getting away with this. Thankfully. I know the law, and I’m not afraid to use it. Kiss my ass Capital Realty Advisors.

No comments:

Post a Comment